DNS lookups (was: something completely different on -private)

Just saw this ...

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens)  wrote on 10.10.97 in <m0xJjK8-00IdTXC@golem.pixar.com>:

> Did you try "order hosts,bind" in /etc/host.conf? If you have the right
> entries in /etc/hosts DNS should not be involed.

I noticed that after one of my latest hamm upgrades, everything handling
IP addresses would start DNS lookups, which played havoc with my boot
sequence (stuff like diald not coming up after running for several hours
because ifconfig and route hang asking the name server, which waits for
diald to come up, and no login prompt ever appearing).

I haven't tracked that down yet, but I suspect some change in libc6.

In any case, I've temporarily worked around it by making sure that every
IP used to fire up diald is locally known to my name server - /etc/hosts
wasn't enough.

This is my /etc/host.conf:

order hosts,bind
multi on