Re: DNS lookups

Richard Braakman wrote:
> Kai Henningsen wrote:
> > I *suspect* that glibc, when asked to find an IP number in the string
> > "1.2.3.4", decides to ask for a DNS entry before giving back 0x01020304.
> > If this turns out to be true, I won't hesitate to call it a serious bug.
> > However, as I said above, I've yet to determine what exactly happens.
>
> This is the case, I checked the libc5 and glibc sources.
> You can find some discussion in bugreport #13492.

Oh!  I'm very sorry.  I was wrong.  Please ignore what I said about
this, both here and in that bugreport.

The glibc source does have a check for strings like "1.2.3.4", which
is activated by defining HANDLE_DIGITS_DOTS in inet/gethstbynm.c.  I
didn't see it.

My fault, I should have run test programs before making bold claims
like that.

Richard Braakman