Re: YADW (Yeat another dpkg wishlist)

Hi,
>>"Dale" == Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

Dale> On 14 Oct 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> Hi, "Riku" == Riku Voipio <riku.voipio@iki.fi> writes: [dpkg
>> package ordering wishlist (and reasons) deleted]
>>
>> I can't answer for dpkg, but Deity is going to have dependency
>> sorted removes/unpacks/configurations. (I don't know if we could do
>> away with pre-depends though).

Dale> If Diety/Deity installs each package completely before moving on
Dale> to the next, then pre-depends can be treated as simple depends,
Dale> right?

	Yes, but I do not think that is how Deity is going to work.
 What is being proposed is that there be a closer relationship between
 Deity and dpkg, allowing Deity to upload a bunch of commands to dpkg
 (maybe at the level of remove foo; purge foo; unpack bar; unpack
 barbar; configure bar; configure barbar; ...).

	The closer interface may well be implemented as an library,
 allowing other package management systems to work.

	Unfortunately, I have had to take time off working on the
 dependency ordering /event generation parts of Deity while my wife
 and I try to get the remodellers finish with the house before we have
 to move into the house, which is the end of the week. I'll try to get
 right on this asap.

	manoj
--
 Status quo: The mess we're in. Kelvin Throop III, "The Management
 Dictionary"