Re: YADW (Yeat another dpkg wishlist)

Hi,
>>"Guy" == Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> writes:

Guy> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>> I was wishing for Diety to take all the configuration information
>> up-front -)

Guy> All at the beginning or all the end is ok.  Scattered throughout
Guy> the installation is not.  Package configuration isn't yet a part
Guy> of the Deity design spec, right?  I ask because it's something
Guy> that would require cooperation from dpkg.

	It is not in the design spec, partly because I am not
 convinced that Deity is the right place to handle this. I think that
 this should really be done in dpkg, since Deity is just a user
 interface, and can be bypassed, so dpkg should really be doing this.

	I am also partly convinced that package ordering too should be
 dpkg's domain, but this is critical to a well ordered installation,
 and dpkg has been slow to change, and I *like* the dependency
 ordering part, so I am not opposed to potetially duplicating effort
 and ordering packages in Deity.

	Deity's mandate has been to re-engineer dselect, not to fix
 dpkg; and configuration of packages should be left to dpkg.

	manoj

--
 "Unlike most net.puritans, however, I feel that what OTHER consenting
 computers do in the privacy of their own phone connections is their