Re: Samba: from inetd vs. daemon

Eloy A. Paris wrote:

> > Run it as a daemon. The initial connection is *much* faster,
> > even on a fast box. My users here gauge it against our NT40 servers.
>             ^^^^
> Didn't you mean "slow" here?

Nah.. I meant fast. Usually, on a real fast box, you don't see much
of a speed difference between a daemon and inetd launched services.
But, we are running a dual P5-200 with UW SCSI, and there is a BIG
speed difference.

> > Yes, and you should not allow ports 137 and 138 ( I think those are right )
> > to be passed by your firewall anyway! :)
>
> Your're absolutely right. These ports (and 139, probably) shouldn't pass
> through.

Yeah.. 139. Thats the other port.

Tim

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
  Actually, I *do* know everything. I just don't get paid enough to show it.