Re: Adding a driver at installation

>From the Ethernet HOWTO:

  5.1.15.  3c900 / 3c905

  Status -- Supported

  These cards (aka `Boomerang', aka EtherLink III XL) have been recently
  released to take over the place of the 3c590/3c595 cards.  Cameron
  Spitzer of 3Com writes that the ``3C900 has a scatter gather bus
  master controlled by a descriptor ring in main memory.  Aside from
  that, it's a lot like 3C590.''

  You may still be able to get a couple of these cards at a reduced
  price through one of 3Com's evaluation deals, if you are quick.

  To use this card with v2.0 kernels, you must obtain the updated
  3c59x.c driver from Donald's site at:

  Vortex-Page <http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html>

  This updated 3c59x driver allows you to use the 3c900 in a 3c59x
  compatible mode, and has been reported to be quite stable

Andre Henke <andre.henke@pnet.com.br> writes:

> Dear Debian Folks,
>
> I'm trying to make a new installation of Debian Linux.  However,
> although you're hardware HOWTO mentions compatability with the 3com
> 3c90x Boomerang PCI network adaptor, there is no option for this device
> in the installation routine.  The closest adaptor is the 3Com Vortex but
> this selection hangs the install process.  I looked at the nasa sight
> and saw that an uncompiled driver written in C exists for the Boomerand
> but I have no idea how to compile it and add it to the installation. (I
> am installing from the cdrom that came with the November issue of Boot
> Magazine.)  Should I create the kernal skipping the network card and try
> to add it later.  I hope to use this machine to run BIND and the Squid
> cache server so the network connection is pretty important.  Please send
> whatever advice you can.  Thanks in advance.
>
> Stephen Guthartz
> Planet do Brasil
>
> P.S. Please mail me back at sguthartz@pnet.com.br
>

> --

John Goerzen          | Developing for Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org)
Custom Programming    | Debian GNU/Linux is a free replacement for
jgoerzen@complete.org | DOS/Windows -- check it out at www.debian.org.