Re: need comments on a copyright clause.

Dale Scheetz wrote:

> The non-contamination clause simply says that this library can not
> require that all other software distributed with it be free.
> The license in question does not seem to require this, [...]

>> 3. Redistributions in any form must be accompanied by information on
>>    how to obtain complete source code for the DB software and any
>>    accompanying software that uses the DB software.  The source code
>>    must either be included in the distribution or be available for no
>>    more than the cost of distribution plus a nominal fee, and must be
>>    freely redistributable under reasonable conditions.

please, reread this:
]> complete source code for any accompanying software that uses the DB
]> software. The source code must be freely redistributable under
]> reasonable conditions.

IMHO this is "requiring that all other software distributed with it be
free".

> > Also the use of GPL on a library have the same effect.
> >
> The GPL does not require that all software shipped with it be GPL.

In fact I'm saying this doesn't seem to be DFSG compliant.

You've already said:

> This is not contamination. This is just what the GPL insists.
> If you use GPL software to create (link to) new software, that
> software must be GPL.

I agree; in fact FSF have created LGPL to avoid this "contamination"
when using GPL for a library (as in this case).
On their FAQ, they say that this is done on purpose: it's free for
non-commercial use.

Fabrizio