Re: GCC 2.8

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> Just in case anyone missed it, gcc 2.8 has actually been released and is
> on ftp.gnu.edu.. Hopefully this will fix all the issues the alpha, ppc and
> spart people have.

I just compiled and installed gcc 2.8.0 on my Alpha and it seems to fix
SOME of the problems.  The optimisation problems are fixed (at least the
ones I've tested it against) and it does have expanded -m switches
(badly needed).  I have yet to benchmark it, but it seems to at least
compile quicker :-)

I also haven't tested exceptions yet, but will today (with luck and a
fresh libstdc++ compilation).

> The egcs question may now be moot.

Actually, it still isn't.  Until a new g77 comes out, I will still have
to use egcs to compile Fortran packages.  It still brings the only g77
that actually works on the Alphas.

Chris