Re: getfdprm

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Luis Francisco Gonzalez wrote:

> Hi,
> I just wanted to know what this program does and what the output looks like.
> I can't get it to work in my system and I need this info for the C-dinstall.

Which version of fdutils are you using?  The latest version (for unstable)
is 5.2pl4-2.

For more information about getfdprm, try "man getfdprm", or
"info fdutils" or "lynx /usr/doc/fdutils/Fdutils_toc.html".
(Hmm... "info fdutils" isn't working here... Yikes!  Found a bug!  <grin>)

Basically, getfdprm stands for "get floppy disk parameters".
For example, I have got a 5.25" HD disk in my second floppy drive,
formatted to 1600 KB.  When I ran getfdprm, I got the following

$ getfdprm /dev/fd1
get geometry parameters: Operation not supported by device

And, after a few tries...

$ getfdprm /dev/fd1
DS HD tracksize=15b mss

(Weird... It works better with standard disks, e.g. 1.2 MB or 1.44 MB
disks.  I was trying those non-standard high densities that superformat
can do.  <grin>

Hope this helps.  (BTW, the output of getfdprm probably changed from
previous releases.  If your C-dinstall program is archaic, it might not
work with the new getfdprm.)

Hope this helps.

Anthony

--