Mailcrypt - EMACS package maintainers please read this message.

Hi,

Mailcrypt is currently orphaned (old source format).

I'm willing to take care of it if none objects.

I have a specific question:

  - is it already included with XEmacs (like AUC TeX, for example)?
    Emacs20?  I'll add a note to Description in this case.

and two general elisp package questions (EMACS package maintainers please
help me):

  - where is an elisp package supposed to put shared byte compiled elisp
    files in?

  - where is it supposed to put conffiles?  (/etc/elisp?
    /etc/elisp/package? /etc/package?)

I saw very different behavior about these issues between different
packages:

1) The old mailcrypt package installs them in
/usr/lib/emacs/site-lisp/mailcrypt/*.elc; there is a maybe-configuration
file (I'm not sure sysadmin will want to modify it) which currently goes in
/usr/lib/Emacs/site-lisp/mailcrypt-init.el (where will I have to put it if
I turn it in a conffile?).

2) I also maintain AUC TeX, which currently installs in
/usr/lib/common/emacs/auctex/*.elc and conffile in /etc/elisp/tex-site.el
(is it wrong?  On my system AUC TeX is alone in /usr/lib/common/ and
/etc/elisp).

3) I see there are a lot of packages (though not elisp ones) installing
stuff in /usr/share, which is BTW Emacs 19 standard shared files place:
would not be better to use that place (also see FSSTND 6.3), as in
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/{,package}?

Thanks,

Davide G. M. Salvetti - IW5DZC [JN53fr]
Take a look at Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org/>.
Debian is the free operating system with open development model.