Re: Mailing list policy

> > 	Actually, a number of people have been chastised for asking
> >  hamm related question on debian-user )more so early in the
> >  release cycle than now, I think. I think it was routinely stated that
> >  debian-user was for user questions, but hamm was a development branch
> >  and questions shoul be directed to debian-devel.
> >
> > 	As we come closer to a release, hamm is converging towards a
> >  user release, the distinction has become blurred; nevertheless, we
> >  can't just asbout face and dress down people for asking questions
> >  about unstable on debian-devel; at least, not unless we formulate
> >  some kind of a policy and stick to it.
> >
> > 	I can see people objecting to the public being harangued by
> >  unstable horror stories after we put hamm out of the door, and user
> >  again being asked to move unstable questions off debian-user.
> >

> How about a user mailing list for each release - eg debian-bo, debian-hamm,
> (debian-rexx??)  with debian-user being a synonym for the current stable
> release.

Could I say I _really_ like this idea? (maybe with the little change
of debian-user being the sum of all old releases + the current release).

I like it mostly because of the clarity it creates: finally I
really know where the various questions should be asked.

If this is turned into policy, I do hope that debian-devel is still
a very different list from debian-hamm: debian-hamm would be about
user-oriented questions in the hamm release, whereas debian-devel
would be for development related questions (about hamm, or maybe bo
security fixes or whatever).

> In a similar way debian-unstable could be a synonym for debian-hamm.

Yes!

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org

Potentially offensive files, part 5: /dev/random.
`head -c 4 /dev/random` may print 4-letter words (once every approx 4e8 tries).