Re: fsf-address-in-copyright-file

dark@xs4all.nl (Richard Braakman) writes:
[snip]
> For reference, the text I place in my GPL'd packages is:

> You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License with
> your Debian GNU/Linux system as /usr/doc/copyright/GPL, or with the
> Xconq source package as the file COPYING.
>
> If not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place,
> Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
[snip]
> Well, a binary package can be unpacked with ar and tar.  Will "file foo.deb"
> on a non-debian system report it as an ar archive?

Yep, just tried it on an AIX 4.2 box:
  % file miscutils_999.0-3.deb
  miscutils_999.0-3.deb:  archive
  %

> If a binary package does wander to non-debian systems, either as-is or
> by reckless copying fof partsof a debian system, it's likely to be
> without source as well.  In the case of Xconq it will probably still
> have the copyright file, because that's in the same directory as the
> docs.  Xconq is very hard to learn without the docs.
>
> If that happens, I do think someone should write someone, and it might
> as well be to the FSF :-)

I have always found the "If not, write to .." phrase a little
confusing.  I assume it means that you may obtain a printed copy of
the GPL by writing the FSF, but it can be interpreted (as you have
done -- in jest?) to mean that if you receive the program without a
copy of the GPL you should report the offense by writing the FSF.

I know that the phrase is traditional, but the wording in the last
sentence of the copyright file of Juan Cespedes' bin86 package is much
clearer:
A copy of the GNU General Public License is available as
`/usr/doc/copyright/GPL' in the Debian GNU/Linux distribution or on
the World Wide Web at `http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html'. You can
also obtain it by writing to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59
Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.