Re: hamm upgrade using dselect

Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:

> > > Sven> No, I used this:
> > > Sven> mounted Install from a filesystem which is already mounted.
> > >
> > > I think we should obsolete that method. Mountable, which does
> > > everything that mounted does, and more, is much nicer, in that it
> > > checks MD5SUMS and does more than a simepl dpkg -BORGiE

(I didn't know that it can be used on an already-mounted fs.) I tested
it, and it is nice for normal use. I don't know whether we can rely on
it for update purposes. Currently there isn't even a libc5 version.

Do the dpkg maintainers plan to put it directly into the dpkg package?

> i agree. mountable is much better than mounted. it needs pkg-order
> support and pre-dependancies (which pkg-order will probably give it) but
> apart from that, it is perfect for installing from mounted/mountable
> filesystems.

Is anyone working on this ?

> > It also demands that the filesystem is not mounted, else it barfs when
> > it tries to mount it itself. That's not always an option, and sometimes
> > a pain.  Or at least that was when I tried that last.
>
> it certainly doesn't do that now.
>
> i have my debian mirrors mounted on all machines at all times (as
> /debian, /debian-incoming, and /debian-non-US).  I have the following in
> my /var/lib/dpkg/methods/mountable/options:

> it works. it doesn't complain about the fs being already mounted, and it
> doesn't attempt to unmount it after it's finished it's work (or if it
> does, it quietly fails because / is in use).

It asks for the filesystem:

  First, I need to know what partition you are installing from. This can
  either be the device (eg /dev/hda3), or the mount point (eg /mnt), but
  in either case the filesystem you specify MUST BE IN /etc/fstab.

  Enter the root filesystem [/]:

This doesn't match my plans when I want to tell the program that I
want to install from a directory.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de>