Re: Preferred compiler?

Douglas Bates <bates@stat.wisc.edu> writes:

> I recall some discussion about using gcc 2.8.0 or egcs for compiling
> packages in preparation for Debian-2.0 but I don't recall the details.
> I notice that gcc-2.8.0-0.4_i386.deb and egcc_1.0.1-0.4_i386.deb are
> still in project/experimental.  Should I be using one of those in my
> compilations?

I suggest that you use gcc 2.8.0 and egcs for testing only. See what
warnings and errors they thzrow back at you. You might find some stuff
that wouldnt work on other architectures and systems that
way. Sometime in the future Debian will sitch to another compiler, so
being ready for it doesn't hurt. For release you should stay with the
old gcc, since several important people (e.g. Linus) think that egcs
and gcc 2.8.0 aren't stable enough yet.

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn