Re: UNIX and ease of use

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, David Welton wrote:

> 1.  Make ppp easy to set up.  From irc and newsgroup experience, this
> is the biggest hurdle.
	Should be the easiest one on the list.

> 2.  Provide the option of a nice, easy to configure window manager, or
> barring that, some sort of wm configuration package that provides a
> nice default.
	I wrote fvwmconf.  Its more or less, kind of, 100% graphical.  But
it still looks best for fvwm2 afficcionados.  It's kind of elaborate and
wooly.  Still, there might be some ideas in it for inclusion (or
exclusion) in something simpler.

> 3.  Hammer on the installation disks, so they work *everywhere*.  It's
> really frustrating when someone is forced to go with another
> distribution because our boot disks don't work.
	Yes, I recently was trying to install using several mongrel
386-486 machines, and there was always a problem installing.  Eg, the bo
rescue disk apparantly needed a PCI bus to work properly !

G John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>