Re: UNIX and ease of use

David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> writes:

> 1.  Make ppp easy to set up.  From irc and newsgroup experience, this
> is the biggest hurdle.

Has anyone had experience with WvDial?  If it works as advertised, can
we set it up so that it's the default (there should be a query in
pppconfig with it as the default option) for new users, and the system
falls back to the current approach (chat) if WvDial fails in an
attempt to connect.

I'd add to this a more through handling of dynamic IP connections.  I
had to do a decent amount of work to get my system set up to do the
right thing with respect to DNS, mail, etc., given that I normally
have a dynamic IP on one of my systems, and most of the naive users
*will* be dynamic IP.

I do *not* like the option of changing the hostname to match the
dynamic IP.

> 3.  Hammer on the installation disks, so they work *everywhere*.  It's
> really frustrating when someone is forced to go with another
> distribution because our boot disks don't work.

This is key, especially making sure that PCMCIA handling is better
(i.e. not completely broken this time) but I think people are working
on it.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>