Re: UNIX and ease of use

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Nathan E Norman wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, G John Lapeyre wrote:
>
> [ snip ]
> : 	Yes, I recently was trying to install using several mongrel
> : 386-486 machines, and there was always a problem installing.  Eg, the bo
> : rescue disk apparantly needed a PCI bus to work properly !
>
> Huh?  Did the boot actually fail, or did you get the "No PCI BIOS
> present, this release still depends on it; sorry" message (note:  that's
> not verbatim :) ... afaik, that message is from the EATA driver compiled

	OK , right.  This particular error still allowed a boot
(sometimes, I think.)  But I got strange behavior after that. For instance
fdisk gave some kind of errors about "last cylinder" (?)  And I
attrtibuted this to the boot warning Fdisk on the same disk , same
partitions, but in newer hardware gives no such problems.
	So this is probably not a bootdisk problem.

I have an old floppy controller out of a 386 which won't run the format
command used when making the boot disk during the installation procedure.
I guess that may not be a rescue disk problem either.

G John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>