Re: man-db strange behaviour

On Mon, Mar 02, 1998 at 08:47:19PM -0500, Steve Dunham wrote:
> fpolacco@icenet.fi writes:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 02, 1998 at 02:37:34PM +0100, Jens Ritter wrote:
> > >
> > > man: can't open /tmp/zman29072aaa: Bad file descriptor
> > > No manual entry for sane-mustek
> > >
> > > As it works for root I thought it is a permission problem:
> > > unsolved [/home/jens] $ ls -dl /tmp
> > > drwxrwxrwt   4 root     root         1024 Mar  2 14:31 /tmp
>
> > I have another report with the same error message, where the problem
> > seems to be in /tmp on a separate partition.
> > Is this also your case?
>
> This is happening on my machine at work and it only has one partition.
>
> It is not happening on my machine at home which has release 60 of the
> package.

I've also seen this where tmp is on the same partition as everything else.
the only time I ever see it is after pressing Ctrl-C after doing "man ..." -
like this:

[2]wyvern:~$ man gcc
Reformatting gcc(1), please wait...
man: can't remove /tmp/zman10234aaa: Bad file descriptor

The named file is in tmp. I've tried grabbing a strace (running as root),
but I havn't managed it yet.

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com       | Debian Linux - www.debian.org
http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett   | Because bloated, unstable
PGP key available on public key servers  | operating systems are from MS