Re: UNIX and ease of use

A. P. Harris writes (of WvDial):

> I was thinking about installing wvdial but for me this rules it out.  Why
> can't it just read/write the standard configs?

Because it wants to be a dialer as well as a configurator, and wants to be
run without root privileges.  I tend to think of configuring a ppp
connection as equivalent to configuring an ethernet connection, rather
than as running DUN under Win95.

> We need a ppp config that can be run from a base system, allowing users
> to dialup to get the rest of the system if possible.

I would like to think that pppconfig could be that ppp config.  It should
be tested a bit by someone other than me, though.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)