Re: Why "daemon" is not like "deity"

> Discarding the name "deity" because it has religious dennotations is
> just as silly as worrying about the word "daemon" elsewhere in the sytem.

Were I Ken Thompson, designing Unix in 1969, with _prescience_ about what
would happen to it, I would not have called them daemons.

Now, we have the power to make that kind of decision. We have experience
that Ken didn't have. The echoes of what we do today will last a decade
or more. I think you haven't placed enough weight on the _responsibility_
you have and the weight your decisions will have on Debian's future.
Please take that more seriously.

I might have used the religious word "golem", which fits better than
"daemon" and doesn't have the evil connotation. The golem was created
to do menial tasks, and the means of its creation was numerology! Ken
really missed one there.

	Thanks

	Bruce