Re: Why "daemon" is not like "deity"

On 4 Mar 1998 bruce@va.debian.org wrote:

> I might have used the religious word "golem", which fits better than
> "daemon" and doesn't have the evil connotation. The golem was created
> to do menial tasks, and the means of its creation was numerology! Ken
> really missed one there.

my system's daemons have asked to me to inform you that they do NOT perform
menial tasks.  They advise that if you insult them in this manner again
they'll ask the big guy with the pointy tail to chmod you to 666 and send
you to redmond for eternity.

craig

PS: i'm not sure whether to take their threat seriously or not.  they joke
around a lot.

--
 ** Debian: The OS with a higher class of daemon