Re: UNIX and ease of use

On Tue 03 Mar 1998, Adam P. Harris wrote:

> I recently lobbied, and succeeded, in asking exim maintainer to add a
> script in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/exim to flush the queue on dialup.  I suggest
> that people think creatively about changing the state of net services on
> ip up and down and submit wishlist bugs for better support of that
> wonderful, debian-only invention!

Yes, it's great. The next version of my isdnutils (where you can have
dial-on-demand syncPPP over ISDN) has this in its ip-up.d file:

case "$PPP_IFACE" in
        ippp0)  route add default $PPP_IFACE
                # The next lines are for masquerading over ippp link.
                # hostname -i should give ip address of local network interface.
                # Use /etc/ipmasq.conf if you have a fixed PPP IP address.
                # /sbin/ipfwadm -I -a accept -W $PPP_IFACE -D $PPP_LOCAL/32
                # /sbin/ipfwadm -I -a accept -m -P tcp -S `hostname -i`/24
                # /sbin/ipfwadm -I -a accept -m -P udp -S `hostname -i`/24
                ;;

This is addition to stuff that needs to be done statically.
Note that I haven't tested the ipfwadm lines yet in "real life". What I
*do* know is that the ipmasq package is worse than useless if you have a
dynamic IP PPP link... From the messages I read in the isdn4linux and the
dutch linux mailing list, most people want to do masquerading to a dialup
PPP line, almost never to a 24/7 internet link.

I'll try to figure out all that needs to be done to successfully use a
debian system as a masquerading dial-on-demand gateway to the internet.
When I do so, I'll report back.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl