Re: why ddd-?motif are gone from archive?

On Tue, Mar 03, 1998 at 08:40:49PM +0100, Maarten Boekhold wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>
> > Previously Alex Yukhimets wrote:
> > > Does anyone has any idea why my ddd-?motif packages are gone from
> > > hamm/contirb? Even bug #16103 against ddd-dmotif now has "maintainer
> > > unknown". I didn't drop the packages and actually planning on releasing
> > > new upstream version in the nearest future...
> >
> > Probably because there now is a ddd package which uses lesstif. No need
> > to bother with the non-free motif anymore.
>
> Please don't do this yet. I have never been able to get ddd using lesstif
> to work, so I still appreciate a ddd-smotif package. btw. how are other
> ppls experiences with ddd/lesstif?

The new lesstif packages seem a great improvement - xmcd hasn't crashed once
yet - previously it was unusable. I can't remember if they are in unstable
or experimental, but they are less than a week old IIRC.

I agree that a statically linked version for some programs is essential -
ddd used to be unusable IMHO  (I havn't tried with the new lesstif packages).
I imagine that some maintainers would like to provide statically linked
versions, but don't own a proper Motif with the necessary license. So if you
*do* have such a license, it would be nice to know!

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com       | Debian Linux - www.debian.org
http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett   | Because bloated, unstable
PGP key available on public key servers  | operating systems are from MS