Re: UNIX and ease of use

john@dhh.gt.org writes:

> > I do not like the phrase "locks the user into their system" -- it is
> > inaccurate.  Obviously, if you want to use wvdial, you have to use
> > wvdial.  Beyond that, there is no "locking" being done.
>
> Perhaps "locks the user into their system" is a little strong.  What
> I mean is this: User uses wvdial to "get onto the net", and, having
> done so, believes that ppp is all set up.  When she decides to try
> ezppp, or pon, or some other dialer, she finds that he has to
> configure it all over again.

I don't know the details, but how feasible would it be to make the
necessary modifications so that all the relevant packages knew about
wvdial?  We already make policies like this for other things like
emacs, docs, web issues, etc.  Then ppp related packages would just
have to make sure they conform.

This is all of course assuming that wvdial does in fact work as well
as it sounds.  I still haven't tried it.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>