Re: man-db strange behaviour

On Tue, Mar 03, 1998 at 09:43:05PM -0500, Steve Dunham wrote:

> After about an hour of playing around, I've narrowed down the problem
> (and I know why so few people have experienced it).  At work the login
> scripts set the umask to 077, the debian default is a very friendly
> 002.

That is!
Now I can reproduce it too. And fix it :-)
It's my fault: I've added a safety open of the temporary file in the C
code (before it was created by the shell redirection), but failed to
notice that I had to move the umask 022 from the shell code to the C
code.

> The following command done with dropped privs
> umask 022; /bin/gzip -dc /usr/man/man1/znew.1.gz > /tmp/zman01804aaa
> man: can't open /tmp/zman01804aaa: Bad file descriptor

Will work in -63
I will wait to fix another bug (locale messages and pages not working)
before uploading it.

Thank you,
fab