Re: what harm can MS do to free software anyway

From: eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us (Mark W. Eichin)
> they can destroy our freedom from the hardware side, which is why the
> Open Hardware Initiative (I think that's the right name, it's one of
> Bruce Perens' inventions) is more important than it might first appear...

But that's marketing :-) You've identified one, but the biggest threat is
patents. RMS and I and others have been discussing how to work a patent
pool so that companies would have an encouragement to join it. RMS said this
is so important to him that he is willing to cooperate with commercial
companies about it.

The heat is going to be _on_ soon. Watch how people respond to this
netscape thing.

	Thanks

	Bruce