Re: dynamic DNS

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> > > Oops. Maybe we do need our own dynamic DNS.
> >
> > That would be GREAT!
>
> This sounds like a huge can of worms; to whom do we allow access,
> is there a risk of people signing on just to get at it, and should
> Debian/SPI be providing this sort of service?

You are right.  This is indeed a big can of worms.  I've had this idea for a
while which can possibly be extended to dyndns.  This idea stems from my
unstoppable desire to have a debian.org hostname ;-)

I propose we have developers.debian.org  and users.debian.org domains.
The hostnames in developers.debian.org would be free for developers, but the
hostnames in users.debian.org would require some kind of (possibly one-time)
donation to SPI.  These domains need not be managed by the same people who are
administrating debian.org domain.  We can delegate it to someone who wants to
maintain this.  And of course, we could have the equivalent dyndns domains for
those of us who can't get a static IP.

I know this is not important, but wouldn't it be cool? :-)  The benefits are
the donations from users, and yet another incentive for becoming a developer.
However, the latter can be viewed as a bad thing, since we really don't want
someone becoming a developer just to get the hostname....

What does everyone think?  I know I am not the only one longing for a
debian.org hostname :)

--
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@digicron.com