Re: ucspi-tcp-src (package to build ucspi-tcp from source)

> On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Philip Hands wrote:
>
> > Assuming there are no objections, I'll be uploading another of my munged
> > source/binary packages designed to get round Dan Bernstein's licensing
> > policy.
>
> Why it can not be packaged in the normal way (source only form)?
> (Like current pine).

What do you mean ``like pine'' ?

What's this:

  /home/ftp/debian/hamm/non-free/binary-i386/mail/pine_3.96L-2.deb

looks like a binary package to me --- am I missing something ?

If this is not the current version of pine then the fact that I thought it was
demonstrates my point exactly.  Things that don't make it into the binary
distribution drop off the face of the earth for many people.

I mirror the binary distribution, and only download source when I really need
it.  I imagine I'm not alone (European phone charges being what they are).

> It is so difficult for users to dpkg-source -x *.dsc and
> then "debian/rules binary"?

If we imagine someone who's heard that they would be better off using qmail on
linux than their existing NT box as a mail server, and the first thing they
come across is the fact that they need to do a crash course in debian package
management before proceeding.

I think they will either end up forgetting the whole thing, or turning to
another distribution.  IMHO we can do better than that, and so we should.

Cheers, Phil.