Re: ucspi-tcp-src (package to build ucspi-tcp from source)

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Philip Hands wrote:

> > On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Philip Hands wrote:
> >
> > > Assuming there are no objections, I'll be uploading another of my munged
> > > source/binary packages designed to get round Dan Bernstein's licensing
> > > policy.
> >
> > Why it can not be packaged in the normal way (source only form)?
> > (Like current pine).
>
> What do you mean ``like pine'' ?
>
> What's this:
>
>   /home/ftp/debian/hamm/non-free/binary-i386/mail/pine_3.96L-2.deb
>
> looks like a binary package to me --- am I missing something ?

Well, yes :-) You are missing Bug #11576
"We can not distribute modified pine binaries."

Current pine is 3.96L-7 and it is distributed as source-only.

> If this is not the current version of pine then the fact that I thought it was
> demonstrates my point exactly.  Things that don't make it into the binary
> distribution drop off the face of the earth for many people.
>
> I mirror the binary distribution, and only download source when I really need
> it.  I imagine I'm not alone (European phone charges being what they are).

Perhaps we need a special directory for this.
What about this?:

hamm/main/source
hamm/main/binary-i386
hamm/main/binary-all
hamm/main/binary-m68k
hamm/main/source-only <---

> > It is so difficult for users to dpkg-source -x *.dsc and
> > then "debian/rules binary"?
>
> If we imagine someone who's heard that they would be better off using qmail on
> linux than their existing NT box as a mail server, and the first thing they
> come across is the fact that they need to do a crash course in debian package
> management before proceeding.

This is not our problem. It is a problem of D. J. Bernstein.
And a simple "dpkg-source -x" and "debian/rules binary" is not a "crash
course".

Probably even sendmail is better than anything on NT, so the comparison is
not fair.

> I think they will either end up forgetting the whole thing, or turning to
> another distribution.  IMHO we can do better than that, and so we should.

Again, not our problem.