Re: Are we in this for ourselves?

On Wed, Mar 18, 1998 at 10:05:18PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > John> I think that with such a large body of developers, we can afford
> > John> to become a bit more selective about who we either accept or who
> > John> we allow to stay with Debian.  My vote is to get rid of the "bad
> > John> apples".
> >
> > 	Which bad apple are you thinking of getting rid of? Me?
>
> No, I mentioned no names and did not have you in mind anyway.  It is
> not my intent to start a flamewar.
>
> I just think that we need to draw the line sometimes.  Once a
> discussion gets out of hand, stop it.  People that refuse to stop
> should be dealt with.  Simple....

This is nonsense. We are a community. You don't have a community were "bad
apples" are throw out. Does nobody remember the Dave Cinege Saga? It was an
ugly thing, but I was really lucky that everybody here was fine enough to
cope with it.

Dave said a lot of bad things, but he was not thrown out or censored. Bruce
put him in "digest mode" if he was too harsh, so that people who were
interested could read the mails, but other people could easily delete it.

See, those "bad apples" are humans, and you don't "get rid" of humans.

Marcus
dismayed