Re: Need bash-programmer for file-rc

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I'm the maintainer of the file-rc package.  File-rc is a replacement
> for the old /etc/rc?.d system.  It manages the startup scripts in
> one single file /etc/runlevel.conf.
>
> This package contains a replacement for update-rc.d.  In order to
> increase speed it is written in bash and not in perl.  Unfortunately
> the original update-rc.d was improved and so they're not completely
> compatible.
>
> I'm mostly talking about constructs like
>
>    update-rc.d netbase start 20 0 1 2 . start 10 S . stop 90 4 5 6 .
>
> These constructs are not recognized yet.  I realize that I won't
> find the time to track this down as it needs some re-design of
> the internals of update-rc.d.
>
> Does anybody feel the desire to help me with it?  I'm not talking
> about taking over maintenance of this package although I would
> appreciate that, too.  Mainly I need help with modifying this
> script.

Sure, I would.  My current ppp hacking(where I have removed ip-up,ip-down, and
the connect option from pppd) is all in bash.  I read in a flat-textfile
database for the modem dialing, and store the file in a 2-dimensional(sort-of)
bash array.

My hacking also as a ppp-update.d, which functions like update-rc.d.  I have
it hacked to support the runlevels in my new pppd.