Re: Free-World maintainer for xpdf ?

Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org> writes:
> As a Canadian resident, I don't think I can deal with the encryption
> code (as I understand it, the US laws for encryption technology make
> no difference between US and Canadian residents).

The status of Canadian crypto laws is currently in flux.
A summary of the current situation is at:
 http://www.efc.ca/pages/doc/crypto-export.html

And also, the government is requesting public comments, the dealine for
submissions is April 21, help keep your country in the free world:
 http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/SSG/cy00005e.html

Basically the upshot is that if the code wasn't developped in the US and it's
widely available ("Public Domain", only not the same definition as copyright
law, it seems to include basically any Free Software) then you don't have to
worry.

If it's commercial software with restricted distribution then you need a
permit (which is true of many commercial exports anyways).

If it was developped in the US the case becomes murkier and worse the US
officials can consider you involved in exporting it from the US. This might
not matter to you if you don't ever plan on visitting the US and you don't
think they're likely to send the marines after you.

Don't trust me though, you'll have to read the information available yourself
and make judgements for your own legal safety.

greg