Re: Lynx-SSL

Bear Giles <bgiles@dimensional.com> wrote:
> It's much worse than that. The First Amendment prevents the government
> from restricting the exportation of a book containing the complete
> source code to PGP. It prevents the government from requiring
> libraries and book stores form "Americans Only" sections, since
> foreign nationals are also entitled to (most of) the BoR. (There
> are a few exceptions, but I think they're all nationals of states
> without formal diplomatic relations with the US.) The floppy disk in
> the back of the book, a disk which contains nothing except a machine
> readable copy of the contents of the book, is contraband under the US
> interpretation of ITAR.

It's even worse than that: a keyable transposition cypher is currently
contraband under the published export rules (since it's keyable and it's
not an explicitly approved encryption algorithms). Never mind that these
kinds of cyphers existed long before the united states, and never mind
that you used to be able to get implementations out of cereal boxes.

--
Raul