Re: Debian development modem (was The broken libjpeg-6b is in RH 5.1)

On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 04:56:57PM -0400, Kenneth.Scharf@coulter.com wrote:

> >No, what I'm suggesting is that in its current form, Debian is
> >incapable of making a timely release, and until that changes, Debian
> >will continue to flounder like it always has.
>
> I just noticed that Walnut Creek has removed Debian from their 6 disk linux
> toolkit CD set and replaced it with SuSE.  Perhaps this is because SuSE has
> become more popular and they did not want to increase to 7 disks so had to
> drop something, or is it a statement that Debian is behind the power curve.
> Hopefully this will change when 2.0 gets out.

InfoMagic did the same thing...it was rather dissapointing. Earlier this year
when I first decided to leave redhat and try debian I also ordered th enewest
LDR from Infomagic and noticed SuSE on a CD and Debian not.

I think this is more because 2.0 is still unstable and the latest "Stable"
debian is in many way sexactly the same as their releace of the CD back in
August.

I hope that when we get 2.0 releaced they we re-include it (certainly
I can't fault them with using SuSE instead of Debian in their january
releace..I would have probaly done the same thing if  I was them)

In any case I think I will still subscribe to the InfoMagic LDR
because of the Sunsite archives et al. (tho I supose I could get off
my lazy ass and use the network at work to download files and image the CDs
myself...but then again..it is a PITA to do (fun trying to download 650 MB of
files and then make an ISO image when you only have 700 MB of total free
disk space)

-Steve
--
** Stephen Carpenter ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** sjc@delphi.com **
"Maturity is often more absurd than youth and very frequently is most