Re: Is testing model flawed?

On Fri, May 29, 1998 at 09:23:49AM -0500, Stephen Carpenter wrote:
> TO be able to say "this package has no bugs" simply requires someone who
> is very arrogent, either about their skill as a programmer (if they wrote it
> ...as a nice quote I read once "All programmers are very humble...in private
> anyway") or it someone arrogent of their testing ability.
>
> Always remember "Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology" :
> "There is always one more bug"

As well as that, always remember that testing cannot prove
the non-existence of bugs. It can find bugs, but it can't prove that
there are no more. I think the only way to show the non-existence
of bugs is to prove the correctness of your program, which is probably
intractable for any non-trivial program anyway.

Hamish