Re: Linuxconf

On Thu, May 28, 1998 at 09:48:56AM -0500, John Goerzen Linux Expo Laptop wrote:
> I'm typing at you on my laptop while sitting on a soft chair at the Linux
> Expo here at Duke, so if you wouldn't mind, please include a CC of your

Lucky you.

> Now on to the main point of this message...  Linuxconf.  I was just at a
> talk about Linuxconf, and frankly, this system is WAY COOL.  As I was
> listening to the presentation, it occured to me that Linuxconf already has
> or almost has everything that would be necessary to solve the current
> packaging dilemma (postinst scripts asking questions) -- it has native text
> and X interfaces, an easy programming system, etc.

I hope to get a closer look at linuxconf soon.  Based on what I have
read, I have some preconceptions of what it does and want to see if
they are accurate or not.

For better or for worse, I believe Linux is on the verge of gaining
mainstream acceptance.  Before that can happen though, something has
to make it easier for less technically adept users to configure and
maintain Linux (without dumbing things down, of course).  If my
preconceptions of linuxconf are close, it could fill this need.

On Fri, May 29, 1998 at 05:28:15PM +0300, Shaya Potter wrote:
> The last time I e-mailed the author (about a week ago), I was trying to
> peruade him to modularize all the "admin" parts of linuxconf, so we would
> essentially have a linuxconf-base, and we could have seperate packages for
> things like linuxconf-sendmail, linuxconf-dns, linuxconf-samba.....  This

How tightly dependent are the modules on the rest of the linuxconf
source?  More specifically, is it practical to have a linuxconf-dev
type package so modules could be developed separately?  The reason I
ask is that if linuxconf prooves worthy and was standardized on,
wouldn't it make sense to eventually move the modules into the
packages they actually supported to avoid version skew problems.

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road