Re: RH and GNOME

Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> writes:

> So far, Red Hat as been pretty consistent about licensing everything
> with GNU's GPL. Considering some of the recent discussions here,
> they might even be more solidly in support of GNU's GPL than we are.

Don't believe that for a second.  I would assert that the vast
majority of developers here are in favor of the GPL, no matter how a
few of the more tenacious voices may make it appear.  Don't presume
that just because some of us aren't jumping up and down, that we don't
disagree.  I've just generally quit responding to the people who keep
on posting to the effect:

"GPL is bad, and we'd all be better off if we'd just lighten up and
put anything in main"

This is because:

  1) I've got better things to do with my time.
  2) Nothing I say's going to convince them, and they'll just be back later.
  3) Manoj (and others) generally do a good job handling it.

Note that lintian, emacsen-common, menu, apt, and, of course, dpkg are
all GPLed.  Now I'm fine with the other licenses we support, but for
now, I use the GPL.