Re: RH and GNOME

Hi,
>>"Petra," == Petra, Kevin J Poorman <ewigin@SoftHome.net> writes:

 Petra> I don't think you are understanding what I am talking
 Petra> about. in order for what I am talking about to ocur, WE ALL
 Petra> need to change our mindsets.

	So convince us that we need to change our mindsets. Calling us
 names is not likely to achieve that. So far, you have failed to
 convince me, at least.

 Petra> It is also, a gross distortion of the truth, to treat me like,
 Petra> a win95-windows-gui-only-otherwise-your-a-big-fat-moron
 Petra> zelot.

	"Zealot". (For the record: I never use such pejoratives).

 Petra> I'm not all I'm arguing for is a better users suport
 Petra> base for newbies, and users, who want to USE linux not WRITE
 Petra> linux. thats not so bad is it?

	I don't write Linux either. On the other hand, when I get a
 chain saw, I intend to learn how to use it fully; including reading
 the documentation that comes with it from covfer to cover before
 cutting my foot off.

	I want a chainsaw to cut and trim trees, not a cahinsaw that
 my 6 year old could use with no instruction, since I suspect that
 would make the chainsaw useless.

 Petra> .... Manoj is not lazy I know that. However his attitude is
 Petra> lax and selfish.

	I would find that offensive if your opinions counted for
 anything with me. I think my attitude is not selfish; it is
 practical, and I am all for helping a person who takes pride in their
 tools and at least attempts to learn how to use them.

	I am not here to "serve" users (they have to pay me for that),
 I am here to share whatever skills I have with the community; and
 there are people more skilled than I, from whom I learn, but I don't
 demand from, and I am grateful for that, and there are people less
 skilled than I, and with whom I am willing to share. The lables less
 skilled and more skilled are often interchangeable, depending on the
 are of expertise we are talking about.

	I fail to find this philosophy of sharing with my community
 lax and selfish.

	As I have said before, people who make ad hominem attacks
  really are resorting to it becase their argument has nothing
 to stand on.

 Petra> ah, yes a quote from the demi god of software himself... well
 Petra> here's one for you.

	I think you need have better credentials before you can so
 casually dismiss Stallman.

 Petra> "... do unto others as you would have done unto you."

	So, what have the users who fail to see the spirit of give and
 take, who fail to put in an effort to learn, who expect me to slave
 for hours so they have not to lift a finger, what have they done for
 me? Why can't I do unto them as they have done unto me, then? Why
 should I do more for them that I expect to have done for me?

	manoj
--
 It is not enough to do the right thing; one must also do it the right
 way.