Re: tech proposal to make manoj somewhat happy.

Martin Schulze <joey@kuolema.Infodrom.North.DE> wrote:
> Believe it or not, you're not the only one who counts. :-)
> third machine can mount /pub not mount /pub/debian

How hard can it be to mirror the base tgz file?

I could write or find a tiny ftp client[*], to fit on the rescue disk
but if it's not needed, what's the point?  [And before people who
haven't looked into this start jumping up and down: note that there's
no ppp before the base tgz file (or equivalent) is installed.]

--
Raul

[*] ftp clients can be very trivial, as this script demonstrates.
[Note that this won't work on the rescue disk, but a variant translated
into c might]:

#!/bin/sh
# trivial ftp client -- requested file appears on stdout

if [ $# != 3 ]; then
	>&2 echo "Usage: `basename $0` host dir file"
	exit 1
fi

retrieve() {
	perl -ne '
		print STDERR $_;
		next unless /^[1-5][0-9][0-9] /;
		next unless 5 == ++$n;
		($a,$b,$c,$d,$e,$f)= /(\d+),(\d+),(\d+),(\d+),(\d+),(\d+)/;
		$port= $e*256+$f;
		open STDIN, "/dev/null";
		system "nc $a.$b.$c.$d $port";
	'