Re: RH and GNOME

On Sun, Jul 26, 1998 at 11:14:23PM -0400, Scott McDermott wrote:
>                 One thing nice about RPM is the fact that it doesn't use
> .orig and just single patches...there is individual patches for each
> fix, you can just take a look at .spec, see what it's for, and apply
> those you want to.  dpkg source builds are one-shot patch to upstreams.

That has changed in dpkg 1.4.1.x series. (Yes, we have a category-killer
piece of software there. It's a pitty few people know about it yet).

> Without concerted effort and a changing of the whole project's goals, an
> individual's contibutions will just be pissing in the wind...

I fail to see which project goal should be changed. And a few
individuals's contributions have done a lot to improve the ease of use of
the system, just look at apt, our current consistent keyboard config,
menu, dwww, pppconfig and so on...

And about concerted efforts, Debian is all about it. Explain the problem,
backing it with facts, let the other developers know about it, and you'll
soon find a lot of helping hands. (I admit sometimes the hard part is
just explaining the problem so that everyone understands what one's
talking about). :-)

--
Enrique Zanardi						ezanardi@ull.es