Re: Copyright question

    JR> It clearly says: "Copyright" at the front of this line ending in
    JR> all rights reserved.

    JR> If this sentence would stand alone, this would mean "non-free"
    JR> as "all rights reserved" includes redistribution and
    JR> modification (and some other things), so you would have to ask
    JR> BIZNET what their conditions are.

Yes, but it is not alone.  My primary concern was whether the cited
original X fonts copyright is only cited in the license (because derived
works have to do so) or whether it is an actual part of BIZNET fonts
copyright.  People here seem to think the latter is right.

    JR> It really depends on what the DFSG license says (modifications
    JR> to GPL have to be placed under GPL, that´s what makes GPL kind
    JR> of a _good natured_ virus).

I'm not sure whether the X fonts license (which is X Consortium license)
contains some good virus or not.  It depends on the interpretation of
the following clause, which I don't fully understand too (does it mean
BIZNET like modifications have to *save* or only *cite* the original
permission?):

   The above copyright notices and this permission notice shall
   be included in all copies or substantial portions of the
   Software.

(I wish all software were GPLed, which would avoid all the licensing
problems and K*/Q* like confusion.:-)

Milan Zamazal

  The BIZNET ISO 8859-2 (Central European) X Window System Fonts
  have been derived from the original ISO 8859-1 fonts included
  in the X Window System, Version 11, Release 6.3 distribution
  (X11R6.3). The following copyright notices apply to the
  original ISO 8859-1 fonts:

   Copyright c 1994 X Consortium.
   Copyright c 1984-1989, 1994 Adobe Systems Incorporated.
   Copyright c 1986, 1985 Bigelow & Holmes.
   Copyright c 1988, 1994 Digital Equipment Corporation.
   Copyright c 1988 Bitstream, Inc.
   Copyright c 1989-1991 Network Computing Devices, Inc.
   Copyright c 1989 Sony Corp.

   Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person
   obtaining a copy of this software and associated
   documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the
   Software without restriction, including without limitation
   the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute,
   sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to
   permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so,
   subject to the following conditions:

   The above copyright notices and this permission notice shall
   be included in all copies or substantial portions of the
   Software.

   THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
   KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE
   WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
   PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
   X Consortium BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
   LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR
   OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE
   SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

   Except as contained in this notice, the name of the
   X Consortium shall not be used in advertising or otherwise
   to promote the sale, use or other dealings in this Software
   without prior written authorization from the X Consortium.

   * X Window System is a trademark of X Consortium, Inc.
   * Adobe is a trademark of Adobe Systems Incorporated which may
     be registered in certain jurisdictions.
   * Times is a trademark of Linotype-Hell AG and/or its
     subsidiaries.
   * Helvetica is a trademark of Linotype-Hell AG and/or its
     subsidiaries.
   * New Century Schoolbook is a trademark of Linotype-Hell AG
     and/or its subsidiaries.
   * The names "Bitstream" and "Charter" are registered trademark
     of Bitstream, Inc.
   * Lucida is a registered trademark of Bigelow & Holmes.

  In addition to the above notices, the following copyright
  notice applies to the BIZNET ISO 8859-2 (Central European)
  X Window System Fonts:

   Copyright c 1996, 1997 BIZNET Poland, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

   * BIZNET is a registered trademark of BIZNET Poland, Inc.
   * The names BIZNET Aplos, BIZNET Anagnostiko, BIZNET Chimera,
     BIZNET Chartis, BIZNET Fotinos and BIZNET Kathimerini are
     trademarks of BIZNET Poland, Inc.