Re: Success with 2.88 meg boot image!!!!!

On Wed, Sep 02, 1998 at 09:47:25PM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> I didn't do any optimization. The kernel was compiled with "everything"
> modules, and I included the complete modules subdirectory for that kernel
> in a stock Debian root.bin. Still, there is some space available on the
> current root.bin image file, and a bit of space still on the floppy image.
>
> This means that there is lots of room for more inovative (and space
> consumptive) installation techniques, at least for the CD installs.
>
> The next problem I need to tackle is how to decide which modules to
> install to complete the bootup. The kernel detects all the necessary
> hardware during bootup, but I haven't found where it keeps that info yet.
>
> If the scsi, or ethernet cards are pci, they are registered in /proc/pci,
> and I have no problems parsing the scsi modules from that file. (BTW, the
> graphics card is usually registered there as well which should be of help
> to X installs)
>
> This doesn't deal with the non-pci cards, or the proprietary cards.
>
> I'd prefer not to ask any questions, not even "pick from the following
> list". I'm searching for the "hands off" installation ;-)

The 2.1.x kernels have some support for Plug'n'Play cards, and a lot more
hardware information under /proc/pci. There are a few projects related o
automatic hardware detection and configuration, you may want to check
those.

http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/pnp/   (Linux Plug-and-Play)
http://lucifer.hemmet.s-hem.chalmers.se/~dwh/   (Linux Kernel: Configuration Manager)
http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/pnp-linux.html   (PnP driver for Linux)
http://www.roestock.demon.co.uk/isapnptools/   (The ISAPNPTOOLS home page)

(That is one of my goals for Debian 2.1 bootfloppies, but if you
work on it I'll gladly help or focus in other parts of the installation
system).

	Thanks,
--
Enrique Zanardi					   ezanardi@ull.es