Re: License question

Hmm, once more I'm no expert, however..

The license says (upper cased for hi-lighting)

    b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
    whole or in part contains or is derived from the Document or any
    part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at NO CHARGE to all third
    parties under the terms of this License.

However section 1 of the DFSG says

    1. Free Redistribution
       The license of a Debian component may not restrict any party from
       selling or giving away the software as a component of an
       aggregate software distribution containing programs from several
       different sources. The license may not require a royalty or other
       fee for such sale.

I'm not positive but it looks like it conflicts here..

The license says..

    c) You must not add notes to the Document implying that the
    reader had better read something produced using Texinfo.

This may conflict with two sections of the DFSG..

    6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor
       The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the
       program in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not
       restrict the program from being used in a business, or from being
       used for genetic research.

AND

    4. Integrity of The Author's Source Code
       The license may restrict source-code from being distributed in
       modified form _only_ if the license allows the distribution of
       "patch files" with the source code for the purpose of modifying
       the program at build time. The license must explicitly permit
       distribution of software built from modified source code. The
       license may require derived works to carry a different name or
       version number from the original software. (This is a compromise.
       The Debian group encourages all authors to not restrict any
       files, source or binary, from being modified.)

This one is questionable, depending on how you try to read source and
binary into text, however pre and post rendered text may very well
apply..

You may wish to contact the authors to see if you can get them to change
the license, otherwise chances are it will have to go in non-free..

Any comments from others on this?

Zephaniah E, Hull.

--
 PGP EA5198D1-Zephaniah E, Hull <warp@whitestar.soark.net>-GPG E65A7801