Re: Must the entire GPL be included?

On Wed, Nov 25, 1998 at 05:26:21PM +0100, Ole J. Tetlie wrote:
> I've bee in contact with the author of lwm (possibly the smallest
> window manager on earth - beats wm2 and 9wm) about using the GPL.
> He wants to do so, but the text of the GPL is almost as big as
> the source, so he wants to put it under the GPL with only a short
> notice about where the entire license can be found.
>
> Is this possible?

Very much so, this is in fact common practice for the very same
reason. Something to the affect below would do:

"This software is distributable under the GNU General Public License. The
GPL can be found at http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html";

Some people even specify "version 2 or later" of the GPL, not sure if that
is neccesary.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org