Re: Must the entire GPL be included?

On Wed, Nov 25, 1998 at 12:22:53PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 1998 at 05:26:21PM +0100, Ole J. Tetlie wrote:
> > I've bee in contact with the author of lwm (possibly the smallest
> > window manager on earth - beats wm2 and 9wm) about using the GPL.
> > He wants to do so, but the text of the GPL is almost as big as
> > the source, so he wants to put it under the GPL with only a short
> > notice about where the entire license can be found.
> >
> > Is this possible?
>
> Very much so, this is in fact common practice for the very same
> reason. Something to the affect below would do:
>
> "This software is distributable under the GNU General Public License. The
> GPL can be found at http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html";
>
> Some people even specify "version 2 or later" of the GPL, not sure if that
> is neccesary.

It is really recommended to use the famous 15 line header, as this (NOTE:
this example is using the LGPL, NOT the GPL. You most certainly want to use
the relevant part from the GPL.

// Copyright 1998 by Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
//
//   This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
//   it under the terms of the GNU Library General Public License as
//   published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of
//   the License, or (at your option) any later version.
//
//   This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
//   but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
//   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
//   GNU Library General Public License for more details.
//
//   You should have received a copy of the GNU Library General Public
//   License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software
//   Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.