Re: sysvinit: rc vs. r2d2 bahavior

In article <cistron.76g7jl$18t$1@Q.cistron.nl>,
Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl> wrote:
>>  1. Run all K??-scripts in the new runlevel with the parameter "stop"
>>     except when starting up (prevlevel==N).
>
>Ofcourse when prevlevel == N the K scripts do not get run - but that
>is not obvious from the policy document. I does make a lot of sense.

Now that I read my own message again. it doesn't.

>>  2. Run all S??-scripts in the new runlevel which are not in
>>     prevlevel as S??-scripts or which are also K??-scripts in the new
>>     runlevel.
>
>This is merely an optimization. When you go from runlevel 2 to runlevel 3,
>and the squid proxy runs in both levels, you don't want to have it
>stopped and started again ..

And the same goes for this sentence.

I'll write up a more complete explanation and put it in /usr/doc/sysvinit,
at least it is then documented what sysvinit currently does and _why_

Thanks for your lengthy explanation, it made me think about things
I thought I was sure about but am not anymore.

Mike.
--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?