Re: i586 debian port?

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, Ben Collins wrote:
>On Thu, Dec 31, 1998 at 07:59:42AM -0800, Aaron Van Couwenberghe wrote:
>> I was just wondering, has there been talk of doing a debian GNU/Linux i586
>> port via pentium optimizing compilers?
>>
>> 	This should be a fairly simple project (involving mostly
>> downloading/building packages with a different gcc) - it would also be the
>> first project of its kind.
>Simple yes. Reasonable no. The amount of space that debian's ports take
>up as is on ftp.debian and it's mirrors is steadily increasing already.
>I don't think an optimized port is worth the extra space, as well as
>having some one/people maintain it with current packages.

There's probably not much need for a Pentium optimised version of "cp" or any
other similar programs which spend most of their time waiting for IO and aren't
run that much.  For a Pentium optimised system you would only need different
versions of programs that matter, libc6, gzip, bzip2, povray (which are all
reasonably small), and maybe X servers (a significant amount of data).
Someone with a good knowledge of pgcc could probably produce a Pentium
optimised version of all these packages in an afternoon.

--
I am in London and would like to meet any Linux users here.
I plan to work in London for 3 - 6 months...