Re: Wish: sources cited in /usr/doc documentation

"Steve Lamb" <morpheus@rpglink.com> writes:

>     OK, I haven't read the policy yet so I dunno if this is in there yet.
> If not, can we PLEEEEEASE put it in there?
>
>     In the README.Debian (or somewhere in /usr/doc/[package]) require the
> maintainer to cite *WHERE* they obtained the file from.  I've hit several
> packages where I'd like to get more information direct from the source yet
> there is no mention of where the file came from in any of the docs provided
> by the authors or the maintainer.  A good example of that (and not picking
> on anyone, just the most recent example in memory) is listar.  Looks good,
> nice package, I'd like to use it more, no mention of an FTP site or WWW or
> anything anywhere.  :/

Please check policy before coming to the list - it only takes a moment to
scan it.

See section 6.5:

	Every package must be accompanied by a verbatim copy of its
	copyright and distribution license in the file
	/usr/doc/<package-name>/copyright. This file must
	neither be compressed nor be a symbolic link.

	In addition, the copyright file must say where the upstream sources
	(if any) were obtained, and explain briefly what modifications were
	made in the Debian version of the package compared to the upstream
	one. It must name the original authors of the package and the
	Debian maintainer(s) who were involved with its creation.

You should report a bug against listar if it does not provide this
information.

	Martin.