Re: What's in Debian 2.1 (Codename Slink a.k.a "frozen") ??

Andrew Martin Adrian Cater wrote:
>Q. When will Debian/GNU Linux 2.1 be released officially?
>
>	A. Currently in Beta testing: will be released by 31 January 1998

Either give them a date, or give them an object, but *NEVER* associate the
two in the same sentance. :>

>Q. I want to run kernel version 2.2.0 as soon as it is released. How?
>
>	A. You should be able to run kernel version 2.2.0 by updating and
>           using some packages from the Debian/GNU Linux 2.2 development
>           release (currently known as "unstable"/codenamed "Potato").  This
>           will probably involve upgrading two or three packages from
>           Debian/GNU Linux 2.1 to later versions.

I don't think it's necessary to say the user will need potato packages.

The only things in potato that could be useful (that I know of) to 2.2 users
are:

* The updated kernel-package which handles the -pre kernel EXTRAVERSION
  tag. slink's kernel-package will work fine with actual released 2.2
  kernels.

* Isdnutils. Last I heard there was a general concensus that we would move
  the isdnutils package from potato to slink so we have working isdn with
  2.0.36. Therefore you probably won't need to tell the users about it.

>Q. Which version of XFree86 will Debian/GNU Linux 2.1 ship with?
>
>	A. XFree86 3.3.2. XFree 3.3.3 was released too late to be automatically
>           included - the Debian maintainer runs the risk of introducing more
>           bugs than 3.3.3 solves by an over-hasty release.
>           Debian/GNU Linux 2.2 ("Potato") will include 3.3.3 as soon as this
>           is packaged.  If, for some reason, you _must_run XFree86 version
>           3.3.3, e.g. your hardware is inadeqately supported by XFree86
>           version 3.3.2, there are interim  workarounds which may allow you
>           to substitute X server binaries.

Minor nit - use 3.3.2.3 so it doesn't sound like we're releasing insecure
software.

It might be a good idea to mention just what the 'interim workaround' is:

	   [...]        If, for some reason, you _must_run XFree86 version
	   3.3.3, e.g. your hardware is inadeqately supported by XFree86
	   version 3.3.2, you should download a server package from
	   debian's "unstable" distribution. Because it is not available
 	   there yet, an interim solution is to download a server from
	   ftp.xfree86.org/pub/X11/XFree86/current/binaries/Linux-ix86-glibc/,
	   place it in /usr/local/bin, and edit the pathname on the first
	   line of /etc/X11/Xserver to point to it.

[edit out everything after 'Because' after 3.3.3 actually goes into potato]

>[It doesn't help that the Linux kernel numbering is about to change from
>2.1 (unstable) to 2.2 (stable) _just_ as we release Debian/GNU Linux 2.1 :( ]

Relax, we'll still be able to know when they say "I'm running Linux 2.1, how
--
Robert Woodcock - rcw@debian.org
"Unix and C are the ultimate computer viruses" -- Richard Gabriel