What's in Debian 2.1 (Codename Slink a.k.a "frozen") ??

There have been lots of queries about Slink - which version of XFree 86,
will it include kernel 2.2.0 and so on.

This is my take on the situation:

Can someone a.) Check the following answers: b.) Put out something to
debian-user and/or a more public forum e.g. slashdot.

Q. What is this "Slink"?

	A. Slink is the codename for Debian/GNU Linux release 2.1 prior to
           the release date (also currently known as "frozen")

Q. When will Debian/GNU Linux 2.1 be released officially?

	A. Currently in Beta testing: will be released by 31 January 1998

Q. Which kernel version will Debian/GNU Linux 2.1 ship with?

	A. Kernel version 2.0.36 (latest stable version) with an option
	   for 2.1.125. 2.2.0 is still in the prerelease stage and cannot
           be incorporated into Debian/GNU Linux 2.1 at this time.

Q. I want to run kernel version 2.2.0 as soon as it is released. How?

	A. You should be able to run kernel version 2.2.0 by updating and
           using some packages from the Debian/GNU Linux 2.2 development
           release (currently known as "unstable"/codenamed "Potato").  This
           will probably involve upgrading two or three packages from
           Debian/GNU Linux 2.1 to later versions.

Q. Which version of XFree86 will Debian/GNU Linux 2.1 ship with?

	A. XFree86 3.3.2. XFree 3.3.3 was released too late to be automatically
           included - the Debian maintainer runs the risk of introducing more
           bugs than 3.3.3 solves by an over-hasty release.
           Debian/GNU Linux 2.2 ("Potato") will include 3.3.3 as soon as this
           is packaged.  If, for some reason, you _must_run XFree86 version
           3.3.3, e.g. your hardware is inadeqately supported by XFree86
           version 3.3.2, there are interim  workarounds which may allow you
           to substitute X server binaries.

[It doesn't help that the Linux kernel numbering is about to change from
2.1 (unstable) to 2.2 (stable) _just_ as we release Debian/GNU Linux 2.1 :( ]

This is my attempt to clear things up: let me know if it helps anyone else
with the numbering confusion.

Andy